Sunday, September 1, 2013

Viruses and other malware

I seem to have picked up a virus or something. I use Firefox and Norton anti virus and it seems to have got through the barriers:

(1) Every second click in the forum takes me to a screen suggesting I update Firefox with various updates. The screen looks genuine with the Firefox tab etc but it's address line begins with gzj

(2) Adverts are appearing all over the screen including a banner across the top which appears about 5 minutes after I go to a page and makes the whole text jump down. These adverts have a small footnote "not from this site"

(3) I appear to have lost Hotmail - I got a security message apparently from Microsoft asking me to re-register using my password. It then asked for another code. When I said I'd lost it they sent another to my work e-mail but it didn't work so I ssuspect it wasn't Microsoft

(4) When I tried the old Internet Explorer ikon it went to something called "Babylon Search"

I'm sure I've collected something nasty - a virus, trojan or worm or malware - whatever the terms may mean and am not simply bgetting paranoid.

Can anybody suggest how I get rid of it other than taking it to a shop and paying them about £500 or signing up to one of these sites who say they'll clear your computer for a fee. The trouble is that I am not at all computer savvy.

Source: http://www.motorsportforums.com/chit-chat/159705-viruses-other-malware.html

Guy Bertin Franco Bertoni

No comments:

Post a Comment